At our cardiothoracic center we are devoted to providing the best possible holistic care of all congenital heart defects with excellent short and long term outcomes, but also in supporting the families of the patients in their everyday journey.
Our renowned team treats the full spectrum of cardiac disorders, including the rarest and most complex congenital heart defects at every age, from prenatal to adulthood.
Our patients come from all over Greece but also from neighbouring countries due to our high specialisation and performance outcomes.
Here are some characteristics of the team that bring us at the frontier of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery:
- We are the only center in Greece performing cardiac MRI under general anaesthesia in small children and preterm babies
- We are the only center in Greece providing an XMR service (combined cardiac catheterisation and cardiac MRI under the same anaesthesia)
- We have a highly specialised interventional cardiology programme (Insertion of ASD/VSD devices, pulmonary artery, aortic and ductal stents, transcatheter insertion of heart valves, closure of paravalvular leaks and coronary fistulae, hybrid surgical procedures, transcatheter perforation of atretic valves)
- We have a high volume devoted Fetal Service
- We have paediatric subspecialties including all surgical subspecialties, obstetric, general medicine and its subspecialties and cardiac services under the same roof
- Our cardiac surgeons are highly specialised and unique in performing all surgeries including Norwood, hybrid Hypoplastic Left Ventricle approach, Ross procedure and repair of valvar disease, even the most challenging ones, with short extracorporeal circulatory times and minimal blood loss
- Our arrhythmia service covers all the spectrum of dysrhythmias and our electrophysiology laboratory is equipped with cryo-ablation equipment and the Navex system in order to treat patients with the least possible radiation and complications.
- Pacemaker and ICD insertion and follow up
- Transoesophageal echocardiography, including 3D imaging
- Tilt Test for children
- Continuous Medical Education including taking part in national registries, research programs and organising a postgraduate course in Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery
- Clinical Genetic approach of all syndromes including Long QT syndrome
- Adult Congenital Disease programme
- Specialised Cardiac Intensive Care service with fully trained Intensivists
- All round the clock on call rota of Specialised Paediatric Cardiologists and Cardiac Surgeons
We hold an excellent Outpatient Department and Inpatient clinical set up, but also a high-tech catheterisation laboratory and fully equipped Intensive Care Units (NICU, PICU and Adult ICU).
In our Outpatient department we perform:
- ECGs, rhythm strips
- Echocardiograms, including 3D imaging, Tissue Doppler Imaging and contrast studies
- Stress test and exercise MVO2
- 24 hrs ECG recordings, including 2-7 day, where necessary
- Pacemaker and ICD check ups
- Sports and preventative medicine